The Club shall be called the Ashford (Middlesex) Hockey Club.
The objectives of the Club shall be:
- To play Women’s hockey in accordance with the rules of the England Hockey Association.
- To play Men’s hockey in accordance with the rules of the International Hockey Board.
- To play indoor hockey.
- To organise and participate in such social activities as shall be decided from time to time.
- To play colts/junior hockey in accordance with the Rules of England Hockey
The officers of the Club shall consist of the President, Committee Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Honorary Assistant Secretary, Honorary Assistant Treasurer, Fixtures Secretaries for Women’s, Men’s and mixed matches, Men’s and Ladies Club Captains, Captains and Vice-Captains for all eleven’s and Junior Representative.
The Club shall be managed by a Committee composed of the President, Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Honorary Assistant Secretary, Honorary Assistant Treasurer, Men’s and Ladies’ Club Captains, Chairman of the Entertainment’s Committee, Hockey Club Representative to the Board of Ashford Sports Club Ltd, Women’s and Men’s Fixture Secretaries, Press Officer, Men’s and Ladies Membership Secretaries and Junior Representative.
- All officers of the Club and members of the Committee shall retire annually at the Annual General Meeting but can be eligible for re-election.
- Any vacancies occurring among the Officers of the Club or members of the Committee between General Meetings shall be filled by the Committee.
- When present the President shall preside at all meetings of the Club. In the President’s absence or at the President’s discretion, the Committee Chairman shall preside.
- The Committee Chairman shall preside at all meetings of the Committee and in his/her absence another Committee member shall be selected as Chairman for the meeting.
- The person presiding shall have an original vote, and in cases of equal voting, a casting vote.
- The Committee shall meet as often as required during the year.
Quorum of the Committee
A quorum shall consist of more than half the current Committee members.
Functions of the Committee
The functions of the Committee shall be to:
- Interpret and enforce the Rules of the Club and to resolve any problems not specifically covered by the Rules;
- Control the finances of the Club;
- Appoint such Sub-Committees as considered necessary;
- Co-opt for special purposes any member of the Club to serve on the Committee or sub-Committee(s);
- Exercise such administrative powers as may be deemed necessary to carry out the objectives of the Club.
Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held on a date within the last 14 days of May to be fixed by the Committee for the purpose of:
- Receiving the annual report of the Committee.
- Receiving the annual report of the team Captains
- Receiving and adopting the Audited Accounts of the Club made up to the last day of March.
- Election of Officers, Members of the Committee and Trustees of the Club for the ensuing year.
- The election of the two Honorary Auditors.
- All notices relating to matters to be discussed or voted upon at the Annual General Meeting must be sent in writing and reach the Honorary Secretary by the 7th April, but the foregoing shall not prevent amendments to such motions being proposed and accepted at the Annual General Meeting proving the persons concerned are present.
- Nominations for Officers must be received by the Honorary Secretary prior to the Annual General Meeting signed by the nominator, seconder and nominee. Nominations can be accepted from the floor provided that the nominator, seconder and nominee are present.
Extraordinary General Meeting
An extraordinary General Meeting of the Club may be called:
- By the Committee of the Club at any time.
- By not less than 10 members of the Club on submitting to the Honorary Secretary a written and signed request stating the matter to be considered by the meeting. The meeting shall be called by the Honorary Secretary within 21 days of receipt of the request. Only the matter set out in the notice of the meeting shall be considered.
- The meeting shall be called by the Honorary Secretary within 21 days of receipt of the request. Only the matter set out in the notice of the meeting shall be considered.
Notice of Meeting
Fourteen (14) days notice of any Annual General Meeting and seven (7) days notice of an Extraordinary General Meeting, specifying the business to be transacted; also the day and the hour of the meeting shall be sent to every member in writing to his/her address as in the Club Register.
Members and Subscriptions
The Club shall consist of the following members who will pay the subscriptions indicated:
Annual Subscription (£)
1. Life Member Nil 2. Honorary Member Nil 3. Vice-President £3 (min) 4. Playing Member: i). Senior Playing Member
(Those of 18 years and over as
at 1st October in employment)
(£29 per month S/O)
ii). Senior Playing Member (FTE)
(Those over 18 years as at
1st October employed and as such
receiving benefit or those in full time
education receiving no financial
grants or benefits).
(£16.66 per month S/O)
iii). Junior Playing Members
(Those under 18 years
as at 1st October & playing in senior sides).
(£10 per month S/O)
iv). v) Sunday Colts £60
(£5.00 per month S/O)
5. Non-Playing Member £25
The period covered by the Annual Subscription shall be from the 1st October to 30th September.
The subscription may be paid in advance by cash on 1st October each year or by standing order over the period of twelve months. Any member (including any member incurring expenses on behalf of the Club) not paying any part of his/her subscription by 31st October will cease forthwith to be regarded as a member. Reinstatement as a member in such circumstances will be subject to the discretion of the Committee.
The match fee is collected as part of the Annual Subscription (see Para. 10).
Rights and Privileges of Members
All members (other than non-playing members) may vote at General Meetings of the Club, except that in the election of Club Captains, Team Captains, Vice Captains and Fixture Secretaries only Life members and Playing members may vote. No man may vote in the election of those Officers for the Women’s teams, and no woman may vote in the election of those Officers for Men’s teams. A member of the Club shall be permitted to vote by post or hand in writing to the Honorary Secretary.
Rights to the Officers and Members of the Committee
All members (other than non-playing members) have the right to be elected as Officers of the Club and/or Members of the Committee. Non-playing members have the right to be elected as Fixtures Secretaries, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Assistant Secretary, Press Officer and Honorary Treasurer, Honorary Assistant Treasurer, providing that at any given time no more than two (2) non-playing members are elected to the Committee.
Rights to attend General Meetings of the Club
All members have the right and shall be invited to attend all General Meetings of the Club.
Only Playing members and Life members shall have the playing rights and all playing members shall, irrespective of the rate of subscription appropriate to their particular category, have equal rights to selection on the grounds of availability, merit and conduct. The Committee of the Club and respective Selection Committee shall have discretion, however, to limit the playing rights of any member(s) as from time to time deemed necessary.
Subject to the Rules of Ashford Sports Club, of which they are automatically honorary members, the rules of the General Purpose Committee and to the terms of the lease or Agreement between the Hockey members are entitled to free entry to the grounds and the use of the Pavilion and its amenities.
Election of Members
New Playing and Non-playing members shall be elected by Committee and must be proposed and seconded by a member of the Club.
- Life members and Honorary members shall be elected by a General Meeting of the Club on a proposal by the Committee.
- Names and addresses of applicants for membership must be displayed on the notice board at least 48 hours prior to election. On notification of election by the Honorary Secretary, the new member shall be supplied with a copy of the Rules and will pay the appropriate subscription on receipt of which he/she will be given a Certificate of Membership WHICH MUST BE CARRIED AT ALL TIMES WHEN VISITING THE CLUBHOUSE. Until such subscription has been paid, he/she will not be entitled to the rights and privileges thereof.
- The club is open to anyone in the community regardless of age, ability, gender, race, religious or political belief or sexuality.
- New Players are non-playing members shall apply to join by submitting a signed application form to the Committee including payment of any subscriptions. The Committee has the right to refuse membership applications, but not on the grounds listed in above (Rule 13.2). Reasons for refusal of membership must be given in writing to the applicant.
- A member wishing to resign must give notice in writing to the Honorary Secretary. He/she shall be held liable for the years subscription unless the notice of resignation is received by 31st October in the Annual subscription period in question.
- Any member who shall have voluntarily resigned under this rule and may subsequently wish to rejoin the Club shall be eligible for re-election under Rule 13.
- The Committee shall have the power at any time to request the resignation from the Club of any member by letter from the Honorary Secretary.
- Unless such resignation is received within 14 days from the date of the letter, the member shall be suspended from future membership, but he/she shall have the right to appeal to an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club, which on his/her request shall be called by the Committee within 21 days of him/her submitting an appeal. Should the suspension not be confirmed, the member shall be reinstated.
Red shirt with black trim, black skirt and red and black hoped socks.
Red shirt with black trim, black shorts and red and black hooped socks.
Alteration of Rules
No rule of the Club shall be repealed, or altered, or added to, and no rule shall be made except by a majority of members present and voting at a General Meeting convened under Rules 7 and 8.
Suggestions and Complaints
All suggestions and complaints are to be made to the Honorary Secretary in writing and be submitted by him/her to the Committee whose decision shall be final.
If, on winding up or dissolution of the Hockey Club, there shall remain, after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities, any property whatsoever, the same shall not be paid to or distributed amongst the members of the Hockey Club but shall (in consultation with the local council and/or the Middlesex Hockey Association and subject to any special trusts affecting the same) be given or transferred to some other local hockey Club having similar objects to the objects of the Club, which shall prohibit the distribution of its or their income and property among its or their members.
Re: Rule 10 – Definition of Members:
Those who have rendered exceptional services to the Club and whom the Club wishes to honour.
Those who have had an interest in the Club (not necessarily an active interest) and whom the Club wishes to honour.
Those who have an active interest and have in the past rendered service to the Club, who are prepared to pay a subscription and whom the Club wishes to invite into this category.
Those who have applied for membership of the Club without playing rights.